- June 10, 2021
- Posted by: Faith Ikade
- Category: Uncategorized
Understanding who you are, your values, beliefs, goals, and your career is something most people struggle with. As a fresh college aspirant, you are faced with the important decision of providing the best career solutions, be it a choice of school, country of study, or degree.
In trying to discover the career goals we want to achieve, we would have to put into consideration, today’s global world where language skills and intercultural skills are the keys to success. Discovering new places, immersing yourself in another culture, and making new friends from all over the world are proven factors for long-term success in our personal and professional lives. You must be wondering how you can develop these skills, well one of the most efficient ways of developing intercultural skills is by studying abroad!
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD STUDY ABROAD
There is so much happening in terms of technological breakthroughs and social impact projects. Studying abroad brings new knowledge, experiences, and memories that will enrich your life forever. Your decision to study abroad would take you to countries and cities that are relevant to the future with plenty of opportunities for young people. By studying abroad, you get the chance to:
- See the World: The biggest reason you should consider a study abroad program is the opportunity to see the world. By studying abroad, you will experience a brand-new country with incredible new outlooks, customs, and activities. You will be exposed to new terrains, natural wonders, museums, and landmarks of your host nation.
- Get an education: Studying abroad exposes you to different styles and modes of learning. By enrolling in a study abroad program, you’ll have the chance to see a side of your major that you may not have been exposed to at home. You’ll find that completely immersing yourself in the education system of your host country is a great way to experience and understand the people, their traditions, and their culture.
- Take in a New Culture: Many students who choose to study abroad are leaving their home for the first time are fascinated by the distinct cultural perspectives. When you study abroad you will find incredible new foods, customs, traditions, and social atmospheres.
- Learn a new Language Skills: One of the major draws of studying abroad is the opportunity to study a foreign language. Studying abroad grants you the opportunity to completely immerse yourself in a new language, and there is no better way to learn than to dive right in.
- Access career Opportunities: Upon completion of your studies and return home, you will return with a new perspective on culture, language skills, a great education, and a willingness to learn. All of these are very attractive to future employers and you will be considered first for any opportunity you apply for.
- Find New Interests: Studying in a different country offers many new activities and interests that you may never have discovered if you’d stayed at home. You might find that you have an as-yet-undiscovered talent for hiking, water sports, snow skiing, golf, or various other new sports you may never have tried back home.
- Make Lifelong Friends: One of the biggest benefits of studying abroad is the opportunity to meet new lifelong friends from different backgrounds. While studying abroad, you will attend school and live with students from your host country. This allows you to get to know and create lasting relationships with your fellow students.
- Focus on your Personal Development: There is nothing quite like being on your own in a foreign country and discovering your independent nature. Students who study abroad become explorers of their new nation and discover the curiosity and excitement that they harbor.
- Graduate School Admissions: Graduate school admissions boards look very highly at study abroad experiences. Students that study abroad display diversity and show that they aren’t afraid to seek out new challenges or put themselves in difficult situations.
- Experience Life: For most students, studying abroad may be the only opportunity they ever get to travel abroad for a long period making it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
The sheer explosion of opportunities is overwhelming, however, there is another question that comes to mind that is “how do I select a university abroad”. Not to worry, because just below are the most important criteria to consider when choosing your future university to study abroad.
HOW TO CHOOSE A UNIVERSITY ABROAD
- Select your desired discipline: So, you have a clue about what you want to study and need to find the place where they will give you the training you want. You might find places that offer some interesting interdisciplinary bachelor’s or master’s programs, or specializations you may not have thought about. But, seeing how you will need a job after graduation, you may want to check out some of the most popular disciplines, available in some of the most popular countries.
- Decide where you’d like to study: Chances are that you’ve already thought about a specific place where you would like to move and study. Even if you don’t know where to start from, you might want to do some research, checking countries, and cities that have the most or all the desired traits, whether it’s the type of study program, the facilities, the transport, living cost, or weather. Nevertheless, if one of your main criteria is geography, you should try and narrow it down using other pertinent factors, such as career opportunities, financial options, or application requirements. This reduces the search to a handful of possibilities.
- Use the best search engines for international degrees:
The best way to manage this lengthy and sometimes frustrating process is to use a well-informed professional platform for higher education, ideal for quick web navigation between study options, categories, and filters, such as Study portals or the use of career advisors/ consultants.
- Check the International University Rankings: While searching for a university abroad, it is important to ask, “which are the best universities?”, There are many diverse ranking systems, created by several organizations, be it a ranking by academic and educational performance, or the teaching environment and the internationality of the institution, the major ranking systems are data-driven hierarchies which outline the competition between major universities worldwide.
- Research the most affordable degrees: Studying abroad may cost a lot, so you need to pay attention to the overall price of the study programs available and this means the tuition fees. Focus your search on an institution that is in line with your budget and will ensure you the best and most reputable degree you can find. As cost can sometimes be a deal-breaker, it should be high on your list of variables to consider.
- Find out how others experienced studying abroad: In selecting a university abroad, it is vital to ask questions from those who are currently studying or have studied abroad. In asking the right questions, you will find people who have dealt with common cultural shocks, misconceptions, and challenges, or who can give you very specific tips and advice.
- Consider the University application processes and visa: It is essential to check through the admission requirements of various universities to ensure you meet the criteria. There are some universities with exceptions to qualifications and admission processes. It is important to be aware of all this before sending in your applications.
Get the help of an admission/educational agency: Many international students can testify that visa issues and applications are cumbersome, this why using an admission agency is important. You should use the services of a professional admission agency to ease the application process. After selecting the right major or course, you are sure to get a second expert opinion. Applying through an agency provides you with all the necessary information needed and guarantees you admission, that is why it is important to select from the best such as Michelle and Anthony Consulting.
Michelle and Anthony Consulting Ltd(M&A) is a leading global consulting firm with branches in London, Dubai, India, and the central processing office in Nigeria. We provide financial advisory, training, and management consulting services for businesses in various industries.
Since 2003, Michelle and Anthony Consulting have been pioneers of overseas education in Nigeria. With quality credentials and trustworthy services, students have been guided to reach the best possible academic height based on their academic merits and financial capacity. We are aiming to develop short-term courses for minimum graduates and working professionals to develop as skilled individuals and outperform in their relevant industries. We run job readiness programs for fresh graduates, students pursuing the final year of education, and any grade of employees in an organization.
We know the decision to study abroad won’t come easy, especially given this is the first time. But hey look! It’s so easy to do, all you need to do is to kick start the process, and the rest will flow. Remember to start early and speak to one of our educational counselors, visit www.michellleandanthony.net and let us take you on that career journey.